The Aeroballistic Range Association (ARA) is a technical society whose membership consists of organizations involved in the fields of ballistic research. This site is hosted by the Fraunhofer Institute for High-Speed-Dynamics, Ernst-Mach-Institut, EMI, Germany. As the party responsible for the data processing (controller), we process the personal data collected via our website and store them for the period, which is required to achieve the specified purpose and to comply with the statutory requirements. The following text informs you of the data we collect and the way we process the collected data. We also inform you on your data privacy rights as they pertain to the use of our website.
Pursuant to Article 4 No. 1 GDPR, personal data are all data referring to a specific or identifiable natural person.
1. Scope of this document
This data protection information shall apply to the project website located at https://www.aeroballistics.org and all services we offer in context with this project as web services or mobile app providing we refer to this data protection information.
2. Name and contact information of the person who signs responsible for processing and the appointed data security officer
Controller as defined in Article 4 No. 7 GDPR:
zur Förderung der angewandten Forschung e. V.
Hansastrasse 27 c,
80686 München [Munich, Bavaria, Germany]
for its Fraunhofer Institute for High-Speed Dynamics, Ernst-Mach-Insitut, EMI, Ernst-Zermelo-Strasse 4, 79104 Freiburg, Germany
(hereafter referred to as “Fraunhofer EMI”)
Telephone: +49 761 2714-0
Fax: +49 761 2714-316
You can reach the data protection representative of the Fraunhofer Institute at the above address, c/o Data Protection Officer or at datenschutz[at]zv.fraunhofer.de.
Please feel free to contact the data protection officer directly at any time with your questions concerning your data protection rights and/or your rights as affected person.
3. Processing of personal data and purposes of the data processing
a) During your website visit
You have the choice to access our website without revealing your identity. In this case, the active browser on your computing device sends nothing but the automatic information about itself to the server of our website to enable the connection. This includes the browser type and version and the date and time of access. Included in the transmitted data is also the IP address of your device. Our server stores this IP address in a log file and deletes it automatically.
We process the data stored in the log file for technical and administrative purposes when we establish a stable connection between your device and our server. This ensures the security and functional reliability of our website. In the event an attacker tries to harm our system, the stored data allow us to trace the illegitimate activity. Furthermore, we use data stored in the log file for a subsequent statistical analysis of website activities.
The legal foundation for processing the data stored in the log file is Article 6 para. 1. lit. f GDPR. We have legitimate interests in maintaining the security of our website and in providing trouble-free website services as outlined above as well as in optimizing our website.
Processing the IP address of the requesting device in our log file does not allow us to draw direct conclusions on the identity of the website visitor.
Tracking devices for the professional access analysis are not used.
The IP address is processed for technical and administrative purposes of connection set-up and stability, in order to guarantee the security and functioning of our website and to be able to track any illegal attacks on the website, if required.
The legal basis for the processing of the IP address is point (f) of the first sentence of Article 6(1) GDPR. Our legitimate interest ensues from the said security interest and the necessity of the unobstructed provision of our website.
We cannot draw any direct conclusions about your identity from the processing of the IP address or other information in the log file.
Furthermore, we place cookies during the visit of our website and use analytical services. For more information about this, please see Section 5 of this Data Protection Information.
You start the communication when you send us the filled out form. In return, we process the personal data you provided in the contact form so that we can respond to your enquiry. Therefore, the data processing is in our legitimate interest according to Article 6 para. 1, page 1, lit f GDPR.
At the end of our web form-based communication with you, our web application deletes the no longer needed collected data.
4. Transfer of personal data to third persons
We transfer your personal data to third parties only under the following circumstances:
- You have consented to the transfer explicitly as prescribed in Article 6 para. 1, page 1, lit. a GDPR
- We entered into a contract with you, and the transfer is necessary to execute the contract as prescribed in Article 6 para. 1, page 1, lit b GDPR
- According to Article 6 para. 1, page 1, lit. c GDPR and according to applicable law, we are obligated to transfer the data to a specific third party.
The third party/third parties shall use the transferred data for the specified purpose exclusively.
The transmission/transfer of personal data to a country outside the EU or to an international organization is prohibited.
We use server-side cookies. Cookies are small files, which are automatically created by the browser of the user device and stored in your device (PC, laptop, tablet, smart phone or similar device) when you visit our website. Cookies do not harm your computer, and they do not contain viruses, Trojans or other malware.
Cookies contain information pertaining to the specific device, which accessed our website. However, this does not give us direct knowledge of your identity.
We also use temporary cookies to optimize the user-friendliness of our website. Your device stores these cookies temporarily for a specific time. The next time you visit our website, our server recognizes your device as prior visitor and remembers your settings and preferences. You will not have to enter these parameters again.
The data obtained with the help of cookies serve our legitimate interests and the legitimate interests of third parties according to Article 6 para. 1, page 1 lit. f GDPR.
Most browsers accept cookies automatically. However, you are able to configure your browser in such a way that the application does not store cookies on your computer or always shows an alert before storing new cookies. However, the complete exclusion of cookies may prevent you from using all functions on our website.
6. Social plug-ins
No social plugins are used at https://www.aeroballistics.org.
7. Your rights as a data subject
You have the following rights:
- Pursuant to Article 7(3) GDPR, you have the right to withdraw at any time any consent you may have given to us before. The consequence of this is that we may no longer continue the respective activity.
- Pursuant to Article 15 GDPR, you have the right to obtain information on your personal data which we have processed. In particular, you have the right to information on the following: Purposes of data processing, the category of the personal data, the categories of recipients to whom your data has been or is disclosed, the planned storage periods of data, the existence of a right to the correction, deletion, restriction of processing and objection, the right to appeal, the right to know the origin of your data in the event that we did not collect these data The right to meaningful and detailed information on the existence of automated decision-making including profiling and, if applicable, relevant information on the details thereof;
- Pursuant to Article 16 GDPR, you have the right to obtain without undue delay the rectification of inaccurate personal data and/or the completion of incomplete personal data stored with us;
- Pursuant to Article 17 GDPR, you have the right to the erasure of your personal data unless the erasure interferes with the execution of the right to free expression of opinions and to information, with the compliance with legal obligations, is necessary in the public interest or for establishing, exercising or defending legal claims;
- Pursuant to Article 18 GDPR, you have the right to restriction of processing of your personal data if you contest or challenge the accuracy of these data, the processing of the data is unlawful but you oppose the erasure of these data and we no longer need the data while you still need the data to establish, exercise or defend legal claims or you have raised an objection against the data processing pursuant to Article 21 GDPR;
- Pursuant to Article 20 GDPR, you have the right to receive the personal data concerning you in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format or to demand to transmit those data to another data processing controller and
- Pursuant to Article 77 GDPR, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a supervisory authority. Generally, you may find such authority at your place of habitual residence, your workplace or our company domicile.
Information on your right of objections according to Article 21 GDPR
You have the right to object at any time, on grounds relating to your particular situation, to the processing of your personal data, pursuant to point (e) of Article 6(1) GDPR (data processing for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest) and of point (f) of Article 6(1) GDPR (data processing on the basis of legitimate interests). This shall also apply to profiling as prescribed by Article 4(4) GDPR, which is based on this provision.
Once you file an objection, we will no longer process your personal data unless we can demonstrate compelling legitimate grounds for processing which override your interests, rights and freedoms, or unless the processing serves the establishment, exercise or defense of legal claims.
To the extent that your objection addresses the processing of data for direct advertising, we will stop the processing immediately. In this case, citing a specific situation is not required. This shall also apply to profiling in as far as it relates to such direct advertising.
If you would like to assert your right to object, an email to datenschutz[at]zv.fraunhofer.de will suffice.
8. Data security
We transmit all your personal data using the widely used and secure TLS (Transport Layer Security) encryption standard. The TLS protocol is a proven and secure standard that is also used in online banking transactions. You will recognize a secure TLS connection by the s following the http (https://...) in your browser URL or by the lock symbol in the lower section of your browser.
Moreover, we use suitable technical and organizational safety procedures to protect your data against accidental or willful manipulation, partial or complete loss, destruction or against the unauthorized access by third parties. We constantly improve these security measures as the technology advances.
9. Timelines and amendments to this data protection information
This data protection information as amended on August 2018 is currently applicable.
Due to improvements of our website and website offers or by virtue of amended statutory or administrative standards, it may become necessary to amend this data protection information. You may find the latest data protection information by clicking the link on this website
You may read or print this updated and amended version at any time.